City of Palo Alto Homepage
TEXT VERSION 
SEARCH FOR:
Historic Buildings Downtown and Professorville

The photographs below depict selected Historic Inventory buildings located Downtown and in the Professorville Historic District.

There are many Historic Inventory buildings on University Avenue including the fine bank building on the left (1906; Classical Revival remodel 1928).
A view of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, (1916), Laning Chateau (with dome, 1927), and Casa Real (1930) on Forest Avenue after a storm.
Entry to Casa Real (1930)
Fraternal Hall, High Street, is listed on the National Register (1898)
Former Medico-Dental Building (1927) and other large historic buildings on Hamilton Avenue.
Cardinal Hotel, Hamilton Avenue (1924)
Terra cotta at the Cardinal Hotel (1924)
Downing Block, an early post office, Hamilton Avenue (1909)
First Church of Christ, Scientist, Forest Avenue (1916)
Pacific Art League Building, Ramona Street (1926)
The Ramona Street Historic District is listed on the National Register (1925-1928)
Former Gotham Shop Building, Ramona Street Historic District (1926)
Pedro deLemos Courtyard, Ramona Street Historic District (1925)
Tile at the Pedro deLemos Building, Ramona Street Historic District (1938)
Wrought iron, Ramona Street Historic District (1928)
Entry to the Downtown Post Office, Hamilton Avenue (1932)
The Downtown Post Office is listed on the National Register (1932)
Former Police and Fire Station, Bryant Street (1927)
Entry to the former Police and Fire Station, Bryant Street (1927)
Charles W. Decker House, Waverley Street (1894)
Bell's Bookstore Building, Emerson Street (1924)
President Hotel, University Avenue (1929)
Lobby staircase, President Hotel, University Avenue (1929)
Varsity Theatre, University Avenue (1927, marquee, 1936)
Stanford Theatre, University Avenue (1925, marquee, 1956)
Box office vestibule, Stanford Theatre (1925)
Classical medallion, Stanford Theatre box office vestibule (1925)
Terra cotta at the former Gold Seal Creamery Building, University Avenue (1927)
Eave soffit, bank building, University Avenue (1906, Classical Revival remodel 1928)
Terra cotta, former auto sales and service building, Emerson Street (1924)
Terra cotta, former auto sales and service building, Emerson Street (1924)
Former Hupmobile sales and service building, Emerson Street (1924)
Homer Avenue historic buildings (1905-1928)
Homer Avenue historic buildings (1905-1928)
Colonial Revival house, Homer Avenue (1906)
Homer Avenue historic buildings (1905-1928)
St. Michael's Alley Building, Emerson Street (1923)
Queen Anne and Colonial Revival houses, Channing Avenue (1894-1905)
Peninsula Creamery Building, High Street (1946)
Peninsula Creamery Dairy Store, High Street (1946)
Kipling Street Colonial Revival houses (1897-1902)
An inventive Kipling Street Colonial Revival house awaits restoration (1900)
The Roth Building on Homer Avenue will be rehabilitated for the Palo Alto History Museum (1932)
Williams House (1906) and Historic Garden, Homer Avenue (1930s)
Williams Historic Garden (1930s)
Williams Historic Garden (1930s)
Williams Historic Garden (1930s)
Williams Historic Garden (1930s)
Williams Historic Garden (1930s)
Rear yard of the Williams House (1906)
Doctor's path and office wing, Williams House (1906)
Williams Historic Garden (1930s)
The T. B. Downing House is listed on the National Register (1894)
A little barn on the edge of Downtown awaits restoration, Encina Avenue (ca. 1900)
Professorville
The Professorville Historic District at the edge of Downtown is listed on the National Register. The District was home to many of the original faculty of Stanford University.
Professor Frank Angell House (1893)
Professor C. A. Copeland House (1901), and (beyond) the Professors Edwin and Chloe Starks House (1903)
Craftsman Bungalow (1908). Brown shingled homes embedded in dense vegetation are characteristic of the Professorville District.
A characteristic street in Professorville.
Professor Nathan Abbott House at the left (1901)
Professor Charles Benjamin Wing House seen through vegetation (1893)
Professor Leander Miller Hoskins House (1903)
A miniature rock garden adds charm to a Professorville street.
Colonial Revival house with significant grounds (1904)
Craftsman bungalow built for Professor Bolton C. Brown (1899)
Castilleja Hall, an early location of Harker's School and Castilleja School, both still operating (1892)
A mid-block service alley in Professorville (late 19th century)
A service alley showing a portion of Professorville's urban forest (late 19th century)
A surviving carriage barn (ca. 1900)
Acceptable UseAccessibilityPrivacySite MapSearchA-Z IndexComment FormMissing ContentWhom to Call

 
City of Palo Alto City Hall - 250 Hamilton Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94301 | Main Telephone Number 650-329-2100 8am-5pm M-Th, Alt Fridays